There is a spirit known as the spirit of discouragement. It causes discouragement and steals the beauty, joy and peace of men. The Devil knows how to discourage a man. He simply drops frivolous thoughts in a mind and steals the persons rest. From there, the person becomes anxious, can’t eat, sleep or focus on work. However, there is hope.
Why indulge in thoughts that are destructive to your peace? How can we as believers allow the enemy to influence your thoughts and minds with impunity?
Understand this: there are some things which are not yours. If God has settled it, it is settled indeed!
How does the spirit of discouragement work?
This spirit of discouragement is one of the most powerful weapons the devil has in his arsenal to attack believers. It is the most costly commodity a believer can be allured into buying.
If the enemy can get you discouraged, then he is assured of victory. He can finish you off. Easily!
To be discouraged is to say to God, “Do you have the power to do this miracle?”. What you are telling God is that you do not believe in his power and might and omnipotence again when in fact you should be declaring that your God is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we can ask or imagine.
How to deal with the spirit of discouragement
So how do you deal with the spirit of discouragement? Some biblical keys to deal with discouragement are listed below:
- Capture every thought and make it obedient to Jesus Christ (2nd Corinthians 10:5)
- Always rebuke the devil. Tell the spirit to get out (Matthew 16:23)
- Make yourself happy and rejoice in the Lord always. (Philippians 4:4)
- Stay connected to God. Live a holy life (Hebrews 4:16)
- Speak good things over your own life and that of your household (Deut.28: 1-14)
- Exercise strong faith (James 1:6)
- Declare emphatically, I am a new creation. (2nd Corinthians 5:17)